- Log in to the computer with temp profile.
- Start the registry editor by typing regedit in find box of Windows 7/8.1 or Windows 10.
- Navigate the following location. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
- You will see similar keys under the profile list, but one with .bak, which indicates the troubled account.
- The key with .bak is your correct old user profile. Currently, your Windows 7/8.1 computer logged in with fresh (temporary) profile with the same key. So, rename the new profile key (which is not having.bak) and remove .bak from correct profile key.
- That’s it. Log off and login (or restart) with your user name and password. You must get your correct profile with icons and profile settings back in Windows 7 or Windows 10
Recent Posts by developer